This pesto recipe is surprisingly easy to prepare and will fill your entire house with the smell of fresh, nutrient rich microgreens.
Once you’ve mastered the base method, feel free to experiment and adjust ingredients to suit your taste. Mix in fresh pasta, top with fresh tomatoes for pizza, on top of grilled vegetables, or spread on toast with a poached egg for a quick breaky.
Microgreens pesto is super versatile and also really good for your health as it is packed with nutrients, minerals and antioxidants! Enjoy the zesty, fresh and delicate flavours that come with making this amazing microgreens pesto. Make sure you save some microgreens to garnish your creation!
- 2 cups of microgreens (available in living pots in the fresh produce section of selected Coles Australia stores or from your local farmers market)
- 1 cup of basil, chopped (can replace with other greens like spinach or silverbeet)
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grinded
- 1/2 lemon squeezed pips removed
- 1/4 cup of pepitas (or pine nuts, sunflower or a seed or nut of your choice)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Salt, pepper
Makes approximately 1 cup of zesty & nutritious microgreen pesto.
In a blender, add the microgreens, basil leaves, garlic cloves, lemon juice and olive oil.
Blend to create a spreadable paste.
Adjust flavors by adding salt, pepper, and olive oil to taste. Add more lemon juice to reach the consistency and zesty taste desired.
Enjoy immediately or refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight, sterilised container for up to 5-7 days.